Review: Penelope ( TWEED )

Penelope by TWEED

THC : CBD- 7.76% : 6.12%
Price in Winnipeg: 34.99$ / 3.5g
Genetics: CBD Skunk Haze
lot#: PEN8149F4B-  Packaged on Jan 25-2019

Penelope.  An adorable name that makes me think of sepia toned portraits, typewritten love letters and beach boys playing on the radio.  And I can't help saying it wrong on purpose whenever I get a chance.

Peen-ah-lope.

Anyways- Down to business-  Penelope was the winner of the 2018 Lift & Co.'s Canadian Cannabis Cup Award for "Best Balanced" cannabis flower.  However- a quick look at their recent user reviews shows that only 54.6% of 777 users would "Buy Again".  And I can kind of see why...

Greenhouse grown for mass production on the cheap, Tweed has crossed the country with affordable, entry level cannabis products, not without some critics ( *cough cough ) voicing their opinions about some sub optimal flavors, aromas and general end product.  But I take every jar with a grain of salt.

Penelope is a CBD skunk haze. Local LP Delta 9 also grows a CBD skunk haze with very similar looks and feel for 54.99$ while Solei offers their Balance for 32.99$ with THC:CBD 7%-12% My last Tweed review for Boaty McBoatface ended up with a complaint that was never followed up on.

Visual- 6/10

Buds were round with foxy protrusions and of medium density.  Darker green leaves that pushed out around ginger orange pistils, light to medium trichome coverage.  Magnification showed broken heads approaching ripeness before their machine trimmed decapitation.   Buds were dry, but heavy?

Aroma 6/10

I was wholly expecting a big grassy hay bomb when I opened up the jar, as all of my other Tweed purchases have shared this common aroma- like they all spent time in the same wet barn somewhere, before being microwaved into a sweaty, anemic apothecary smell. I'm sorry- *not sorry

But Penelope was different! Penelope smelled like she had her own car. She dyed her hair at home, and it wasn't perfect- but it was still cheap AF so she don't care.   Penelope has a bit of pine, a teensy little floral note, and maaaaaaybe- a tiny bit of citrus and spice. At least its not bad?

Busting intensified a clovey-sweetness that brought this from a 5 to a 6.  It was surprising and made me want to smoke it.   And then...

Flavor. 3/10

I immediately wished that I hadn't smoked that.  OK- Its way better than the Boaty, but that bar was set PRETTY low.  My wife described it as "burnt popcorn" and she's not way off.

The initial draw was a little rough.  There were some notes of burnt clove and muddled orange, that had me thinking about a bad christmas cocktail I made one year. On the exhale it was heavy and tasted "wet" like a hemp hackysack in spring. And a terrible chemical scented free burn that made us open the windows for some fresh air.  It was quite surprising based on the look and jar aroma.

Experience:
This balanced style of THC:CBD under 10% doesn't really do it for me socially.   It tasted like medicine and is undoubtedly best suited for novice users- but also has enough THC to possibly give people who thinking they aren't high- enough issues at a roadside checkstop to fail a swab test.

Medical notes: 
I feel the CBD almost undoes whatever minor THC amount brought you to this strain. It is almost- TOO balanced?  or just needs more of both factors.   Price wise- its much cheaper than Momentum and has almost the same results. But not as cheap- or CBD heavy as the Solei FREE. 

TLDR;  4.5/10
Penelope is another classic TWEED offering- smells weird, tastes weird and gets the job done medically if you're not a nit picking internet troll like me.   For the price- you can hopefully get better tasting  / higher CBD ratio bud from Solei.   But batches change over time-  and I'll keep trying em'
Suitable for Newbies and the Elderly. (Whom there are many of- and deserve some tastier bud!)





Comments

Hits From The Bowl