Review: Mango by Canaca

Mango - by CANACA
THC:CBD - 18.5% : >0.1%
Price: 35$/3.5g @ Delta 9 in Winnipeg - Compare BC.- 26.99$ or ONT. 34.10$ or ALB. 39.99$
Genetics: Mango X KC-33
Packed on: 03/14/2019
Lot#E0000438

Mango is old school.   Your grandpa probably smoked it back in the 60's-kind of old school.

Said to have originated in the 60's as the original Mango- "With buds the size of soft balls"- It was crossed with KC 33- named after its creator; Dutch cannabis breeder- KC Brains in 1991 to create our own modern Mango, meant to be an outdoor cultivar, thriving in wet or cold environments.

Canaca has picked some tasty strains that are easily recognizable to those familiar with pre-legalization options, without the need for throwing strange adjectives and adverbs to make them sound "proprietary" ( not throwing shade- I think that's perfectly fine, I also like being able to know what I'm getting without having to email customer service ) Mango- Should taste like Mango? Right?

Opening inspection:7

Lime green, small and wirey. Bud structure pushing out long resinous bracts from thick stem at the nodes.  Some seem to be clipped off of larger pieces or are very low hanging fruit of the plant. One loose stem with absolutely nothing attached to it? Loose trichomes coating all sides and the top of the jar.  Looked light- double checked the scales- 3.35g.

Quite dry- delicate to the touch despite the tight seal and relatively recent package date.
Took one pull to test and then packed it up with a Boveda humidity control for 24 hrs.
Upon re-opening- the buds seem to look darker and feels very firm and bristly.

Opening nose:6

My first notes before the Boveda: Where's the mango? - I get a bit of fruit, but It reminds me of watermelon rind, nothing sweet, earthy bordering on herbal.  Re-jarred it for 24hrs.

After re-moisturizing- and removing the Boveda- Now I get a bit of mango- but not the juicy sweet that I have associated with Mango in the past- but green mango- or mango pit-  What I really smell more than anything is bay leaf.  When I think of Mango- I think Myrcene. And I don't think that's really coming thru the way it should...

Flavor- 6
Full bodied and hits like the indica that it kind of doesn't look like.  Was relatively smooth after rehydration- but it lacked profile.   I catch a tiny mango like fuzz on the back of my palate- but it is certainly not "tropical" or "dessert" or many of the descriptors usually associated with the strain.

Woodsy-Earthy, I get a bit of a graphite, mineral flavor that is not unpleasant, but I worry that it might be unflushed nutrients in the final weeks of flowering- The ash burnt grey-black.
Vaping wasn't working out well after rehydration- but the budtender mentioned she got a bit more flavor out of the jar with that method.

Experience-8
This Mango clocked in at higher than the average for Mango strains available atm- and it was a great THC / $$$ ratio for what is available in MB at the moment. It's a clever, affable sort of vibe.  Easy to imagine a couple of cups of coffee on a sunday morning- and this would be a great vibe for that.  Its fun!~  But- It doesn't really hit any of the benchmarks of THC;CBD ratio's I personally am searching for to help with my MS.

TLDR-
 I think this picture doesn't tell the story with Canaca's Mango, I feel like its well grown, good genetics and could fit into almost anyone's budget and comfort range.  Its final product seemed hampered by its trimming / stem inclusions and lacked a distinct "Mango" terpene profile.  It's a good value THC strain- that just had me wishing for more flavor- Maybe the summer days will ripen up these mango's a little.



Comments

Hits From The Bowl