Review: Original Stash 2.20 by HEXO





Strain A
Original Stash 2.20 by Hexo
Price: 125.70$ / 28g Via Delta 9 in MB
THC:CBD - 17.57% : 0.01%
Genetics: 2 strains of unknown Indica
Packaged: Dec 7 2019
Opened: Dec 31 2019
Lot# AAA-12629 (?)

Hexo lowering the $$$ bar dramatically with their Original Stash line selling 28 gram units for under 5$/g taxes included. Trying to beat the black market with a lower price tag is either a bold stroke of marketing and distribution or a the first whiff of a desperate Canadian Cannabis sector trying to bail the water out of the barge while sinking under the weight of thousands of TONS of undesirable product.

I am excited for the inevitable price reductions as competition ramps up, but I am fairly disappointed that this sort of pricing hasn't been introduced to the broader medical market yet. There are thousands of patients out there who aren't able to afford their physician indicated dose and either go under medicated or are forced to purchase from the black market.  Patients priorities taking a back seat to recreational sales really underpins the Cash-First mentality of today's Licenses Producers.
Strain B on the left- ( w / leaves ) Strain A on the Right / Top - Approximately 30/70 split
Opening Inspection: 6.75/10
Packaged in a black zip top pouch with the frustratingly adult-proof seal, it feels really nice to hold a package and feel that there are actual solid buds in there before you open it up. Budtender told me that the 2.20 edition was 2 types of Indica, but couldn't provide any more details. It took me a minute to really tell the two apart- one is easily denser and more trichome laden, the other more red / pistils.

Very small, to medium sized buds (0.1-1.3 gram) weighing 27.50g including 1.2 grams of shake. I am not entirely sure what the is the acceptable +/- variability is on a one ounce package is, but I imagine this is pushing it.

Buds are quite dry to the touch, but seem to be holding their own fairly well despite being packaged in a bag. Trim is quite tight, clearly tumbled with most visible trichome heads being broken off before packaging. The denser of the two strains is actually quite crystal heavy when you bust into it. I will call this one Strain A.  Strain B lacks depth and maturity more than suffering one particular flaw.



Aroma: 6/10

How do I put this? It was like smelling a bag of kush, but only after you have inhaled through a 3 foot long cardboard christmas wrap tube. Like a dried out old photocopied copy of "how to grow weed at home" that was in your brothers old stash drawer you raided when he went to college.

Super low scent profile in the jar, when ground together elevated a faint lemony-woodsy-spice note that smells like freezer bagged generic low-end kush.

Palate: 4/10
This is where it started to fall of the rails a little bit more.   Strain A was a little harsh but mostly unremarkable, strain B however, was pretty foul tasting in some of the smaller buds, with a tarry-ashy flavor.  Both burned very hot and dry, so I put them away with a 62% humidity pack for 1 week and it reconstituted well, but it didn't improve the flavor or aroma in the end.

Experience: 5/10
It's alright, but it doesn't quite get me to where I need to be for an indica at my usual dose rate.  I can afford to smoke twice as much as usual at this price, but I really don't like smoking large amounts and it feels inefficient to my routine.  But its a great option for my more casual smoking wife, who appreciates the THC range + cost and isn't as finnicky about flavor profiles as I am.

I have been augmenting my bowls with a tiny shovel of Canna Farms bubble hash powder and that has created a pretty cost effective and palatable little cocktail for me, but I digress.

Medical Notes:
Functional range of THC for daily use without tipping the boat.

TLDR: 5.5/10 +1 for value
Original Stash from Hexo is an unbeatable value in the first week of 2020. Is it something that I will want an entire ounce of? No, not really.   But this product is sure to change with every release and if they can afford to keep doing this, sooner or later there might be something with more smoke appeal. I hope that other producers are taking this as a challenge and we will hopefully see more affordable large format items to market soon.


Comments

Hits From The Bowl